Aqua (アクア, Akua) is one of the three main deuteragonists in the KonoSuba series. Before life in the Fantasy World, she was a goddess of water who guided humans to the afterlife; within, she is worshipped by the Axis Order.
Described by Kazuma as possessing beauty no human could match, Aqua has light blue hair and eyes, a slim figure with ample breasts, long legs, wide hips, and blue waist-long hair that is partially tied into a loop with a spherical clip. Her B-W-H measurements are 83-56-83 cm and she is 5'4" tall.
Aqua uses a sleeveless dark-blue feather dress with white trimmings (not too revealing, but not hiding anything), an extremely short dark blue miniskirt, a green bow around her chest with a blue gem in the middle, a translucent purple underskirt, and detached white sleeves with blue and golden trimmings. She wears thigh-high blue heeled boots over white stockings with blue trimmings.
Sometimes Aqua wears a divine relic in the form of a translucent pink hagoromo, which can disappear and reappear around her at her will. Her hair clip resembles an H2O molecule.
Aqua has an interesting yet troublesome personality. She is high-spirited, cheerful, and carefree, but rarely thinks about the consequences of her actions. While she doesn't force her beliefs onto others, Aqua always acts or speaks on her whims. As a result, she can behave very inappropriately in many situations. It is also very easy to taunt Aqua with jeers or lure her with praises. Since Aqua, as a goddess, thrives on praise/worship points, she usually performs good deeds, but then immediately ruins her own merits by seeking praises aggressively and persistently. Also, while many of her 'good deeds' turn out fine, Aqua is very short-sighted, and some of these 'good deeds' turn out to be complete disasters.
One of Aqua's positive personality traits is her "honesty." She is incapable of lying, or more precisely, she has no concepts of lying and she is so bad at it that her lies give themselves away. When caught lying, all it takes are pinches to her cheeks for Aqua to reveal everything. On the other hand, she is very gullible and does not believe people can lie to her. When Aqua is being stubborn though, others may also fib a little to make Aqua more agreeable. While Aqua thinks very highly of herself, she has a business sense that is equal to or worse than Wiz.
Contrary to popular belief, Aqua is not completely stupid. Aqua can be very observant and knowledgeable when she wants. At times, she and Megumin serve as the team's walking encyclopedias. Aqua simply lacks the basic analytic skills and self-awareness to use her knowledge effectively. She can be very tolerant, and will easily accept and forgive other people's imperfections and mistakes. Part of her understanding nature, though, is an extremely bad short-term memory, as she sometimes forgets her own identity as a goddess when enjoying her new life too much. Also, despite her apparent vanity while seeking praises, Aqua is unaware of the true greatness of her artistic and priestess abilities, as she had nonchalantly performed many extraordinary, nearly-impossible feats.
Due to her traumatic experiences with giant toads and brutal alligators, Aqua acts very cowardly against tough monsters. She will often make up lame excuses on why she cannot fight or that she is "urgently" needed elsewhere.
She also has very negative opinions of the undead and demons and will be very cold and aggressive to them, although not to the same extent as Eris. She is capable of getting along with the undead after enough time to get used to them, as seen with Wiz.
Aqua is worshiped by the Axis Order in the Fantasy World. Though hundreds of years had been passing in the Fantasy World since she started sending Japanese people there before being dragged to it herself by Kazuma, because of the difference in which time passes between the fantasy world and heaven, she tells Kazuma that she has barely lived a bit longer than him. Part of Aqua's job was to convince Japanese people to reincarnate into the Fantasy World, but she spent lots of her time in heaven reading manga and making Eris take on Aqua's responsibilities.
Aqua is brought down to the world as Kazuma's cheat item. The two of them work multiple part-time jobs; Aqua's stupidity and purifying power often get them fired, but as a muse of the arts she excels when they work in construction. During this time, the two of them slept in the stables together. They eventually start adventuring to varying degrees of success.
After encountering Wiz, Aqua is left in charge of leading the poor souls in the cemetery to the afterlife. She instead places a magical circle forcing all ghosts out because she doesn't want to deal with the hassle of repeatedly going to the cemetery. The ghosts find refuge in a nearby mansion, which Aqua and the rest of the party again after purifying it.
Aqua becomes known throughout the town for both her incredible Archpriest abilities and her troublemaking. The adventurers come to rely on her, especially when taking on more dangerous quests. Many adventurers enjoy her party trick abilities, though the constant stream of trouble she creates leads to people relying on Kazuma as her "babysitter".
Though Aqua initially tries to purify Wiz, the two of them become good friends and Aqua is often found lazing around Wiz's shop drinking tea and eating snacks. Aqua often gives Wiz terrible advice unintentionally, which is one of the reasons the shop does so poorly. This causes Aqua to come into even more conflict Vanir, though the two already despise each other due to Aqua being a goddess and Vanir being a devil.
When Aqua and the rest of the party visit Arcanletia, Aqua ends up purifying all the hot springs in the town. Though this causes the party to be kicked out of the town, the Axis Church there realizes Aqua's identity. They decide to keep that knowledge hidden, even from Aqua, so that she can continue to enjoy her life and visit Arcanletia. Aqua spends some of her free time with the Axis Cultists in Axel. She becomes friends with Cecily, who often enables Aqua's worst behaviors.
As a Goddess, Aqua's power is directly correlated to the devotion of her followers. Due to how fanatical the members of the Axis Order are, Aqua's mana has been stated to be infinite and was once used to recharge Megumin's Explosion spell. Despite her strength being drastically weakened after having to forcibly descend into the mortal world, Aqua still radiates a divine aura that naturally attracts monsters and the undead. This aura also masks the evil intent in her voice when telling lies, which protects her from the magic lie detector. As a Goddess of Water, Aqua can summon and control water, and can also cast Sacred level spells restricted to deities. However, due to the bulk of her spells being holy as an Archpriest, there are strictly useful only against undead and demon enemies, hence they are next to useless against normal creatures like Giant Toads.
She uses a staff that will fly towards her if summoned. When casting spells, the closed flower at one end will blossom and boost any spells cast.
Her divine relic in the form of a translucent pink hagoromo can disappear and reappear around her at her will. It can also fill with air like a balloon at her command and is used as short-range transportation for the team, and it also protects her against all abnormal effects.
- Priest Magic: Upon descending into the mortal plane, Aqua takes up the role of an Archpriest for the party and is responsible for using support magic to assist other members of the party with curing status infliction and reviving fallen party members. Being a deity-made human, all of Aqua's stats are automatically set to maximum. This means that while she can earn points to spend on skills or spells, her basic statistics like her low intelligence and luck can never increase.
- God Blow: This type of ability enables Aqua to conjure a powerful punch or "lethal fist" that can destroy and purify enemies with one blow. It was used to purify the undead, but also against humans, such as Kazuma.
- God Requiem: This type of ability enables Aqua to conjure powerful energy that can be released by either striking the enemy with her staff or with her hands. Like her God Blow, this ability will purify anything it comes in contact with, but it can also be used against other enemies, notably when Aqua defeated Kazuma with it.
- Sacred Dispel: A spell that allows Aqua to lift any curse made by the Devil King's leaders. It can also be used to break protective spell barriers.
- Exorcism: Effective against devils and those possessed by them. Powerful enough to stop a possessed Darkness in her tracks.
- Sacred Exorcism: A stronger version of Exorcism. Aqua fires it like a laser from her forehead (she holds two peace signs to her forehead while doing this). This spell is potentially powerful enough to destroy a demon-like Vanir.
- Turn Undead: A spell that, when cast upon, can purify the undead.
- Sacred Turn Undead: A more powerful version of Turn Undead, which, when cast upon, can release a powerful spell that can purify even a lich.
- Heal: Heals user or ally.
- Sacred Highness Heal: Greatly heals user or ally. Restores erased memories.
- Create Water: Creates clean water that can be fired at an opponent or safely drunk.
- Sacred Create Water: Summons forth a large amount of water rivaling that of biblical floods. When cast, the large amount of water could flood an entire city and destroy subsequent buildings and structures, as well as the city's wall.
- Purification (
浄化魔法): As a water goddess, Aqua has the power to purify water, from contaminated hot springs to coffee and tea, through mere contact. However, it seems this is something Aqua has no control over as any liquid she touches becomes purified, regardless of intent, while casting Purification simply increases the effect.
- Resurrection (
復活魔法): As a goddess, Aqua can resurrect anyone who has recently died. Due to her seniority over Eris, she can even violate the rule stating that a person can only be resurrected once per lifetime. However, she cannot resurrect those whose physical forms have been digested or destroyed.
- Reflect: Creates a transparent wall of light that reflects attacks.
- Magic Barriers and Circles: Aqua can draw magic circles that repel ghosts, undead, demons, and monsters. She has also created protective barriers around the mansion to capture demons and keep them from entering the mansion (however, extremely powerful demons can still breakthrough).
- Party Tricks: Before gaining any skills/spells useful in adventures, Aqua spent all her points on this entire skill tree. It is used mainly for the entertainment and amusement of people.
- Nature's Beauty: A skill that makes two fans appear on both hands and a pot of soil appear on top of your head. Spouts of water will emerge from each fan while a flower grows in the pot that will eject blossoms once fully grown.
- Seal: Seals an item's power.
- Break Spell: A spell that can nullify any magic or skill.
- Sacred Break Spell: A stronger version of Break Spell.
- Force Fire: Draws the attention of monsters towards the user.
- Supporting Spells: Aqua can cast several supporting spells to greatly increase the resistance, speed, and strength of the one she cast her spell upon:
- Increase Strength: Increases user or ally's strength.
- Improve Speed: Increases user or ally's speed.
- Enhance Defense: Increases user or ally's defense.
- Enhance Magic: Resistances user or ally's magic resistance.
- Blessing: Increases user or ally's luck.
- Versatile Actor: Turn an ally into a super actor, mimicking anyone's voice.
Water: As a goddess of water, all water Aqua produces automatically has holy attributes. Their potency is such that they can rejuvenate people and even damage Undead. Water generated directly from Aqua's body, i.e. her tears, are especially potent. Aqua also can manipulate water from a distance.
Master Artist: As a muse of the arts, Aqua is an extremely talented artist, being able to repair a photo of Darkness's suitor with the bare minimum tools at hand, create detailed 1/12 clay scale models of Megumin and Darkness, create intricate sand drawings, and even make handmade giant robot made out of milk cartons. While Kazuma has noted that she could make a living off these skills, she refuses to, and her greedy and lazy nature makes her unable to financially take advantage of these artistic talents.
Construction Master: While she was motivated to work full-time as a construction consultant and had a force of construction workers working under her, she could repair a fortress significantly faster than daily explosion magic could damage it. However, she was only motivated to work because of a temporary grudge, and because all the nearby workers respected her for turning the tide of battle.
Aqua's special abilities
- Holy Aura: It causes pain for undead/devils to touch her, with prolonged exposure being lethal. Her very breath is harmful to devils. Draining her vitality/magic is poisonous for the undead. Her holy aura also limits the effectiveness of lie-detecting magical items; they will only detect her lie if it is something she very strongly believes is false.
- Undead attraction: Undead are attracted to her. Mindless undead will ignore orders by their master to chase Aqua.
- Night Vision: See as well in the dark as daytime.
- Undead/Devil Detection: Can detect devils/undead by smell.
- Scry/Mental Immunity: If anyone attempts to see her location/future/mind or attempts mind manipulation on her, it results in seeing a blinding bright light.
- Aqua has a chicken that she claims to be a "dragon" named Emperor Zel.
- Aqua is Latin for water, which is reflected in her status as a Water Goddess.
- To add to her status as the Water Goddess, her hairpiece is designed to look like a water molecule.
- She is given a monthly allowance by Satou Kazuma.
- Once, Aqua cried because she dropped a 100 eris coin down a sewage drain that was going to be used for ice cream.
- She has admitted to being useless for the most part.
- Upon seeing their party for the first time, passersby consider her the most beautiful out of the three main girl characters due to her goddess-like appearance.
- Aqua's birthday is on August 1st.
- She's often an immature and whiny crybaby.