Kingsford Zeltman (キングスフォード・ゼルトマン), usually known as Emperor Zel (ゼル帝), is a baby chicken that Aqua hatched from what she believed to be a dragon's egg.
When hatched, Kazuma took note of the fact that Emperor Zel looked, for all intents and purposes, as a normal little chick. The first person that Emperor Zel saw after hatching was Vanir. Consequently, he acknowledged Vanir as his parent, and continually followed the demon until Vanir created an empty shell of himself to serve as Zel's preferred companion.
Emperor Zel will generally allow anyone to handle him without protest, with one notable exception: he sometimes painfully pecks Aqua's fingers, despite the fact that she is his owner. However, they do spend a great deal of time together, and he can often be found sitting peacefully on Aqua's knee. When Emperor Zel was fully grown, Kazuma planned to cook him into fried chicken.
- Vanir, Aqua, Wiz, and Megumin all took part in powering up Emperor Zell's egg with extraordinary mana
- Wiz had a strange look of concern on her face when she accepted the egg to power it with her mana, implying that Wiz may sense or know that Emperor Zell may indeed be something more than just a chick...
- Or she just thought powering a chicken egg with mana was strange.
- Emperor Zel's head-crest can be seen growing strangely large over time for a chick.
- Dust has confirmed that it is not a dragon and is a normal chicken.
- It is unkown whether or not Aqua knows Zell is just a normal chicken..
- In volume 16, Emperor Zell can be seen as a fully grown chicken.